Friday, April 3, 2015

Simple Machines

A simple machine is a device that makes things easier by changing the magnitude of the force needed or th direction of which it is applied. Such machines in everyday life are levers, inclined planes, pulleys, wedges, wheel and axel, or screws. With these simple machines you can out them together to make a compoundmachin such as a bike. Work equals force times displacement. In order for these machines to work, there has to be something happening. They are transferring energy with the amount of work done. However, one cannot get more work out than the amount of work out in due to friction. If friction is neglected then energy much be conserved. Unfortunately, I was not able to travel to any exotic places out of Connecticut because my parents still had to work, but I still had nice time relaxing and catching up on my sleep. Even though I didn't leave the state, I was able to to see several simple machines because they are used in our everyday life. One day I went to Middlebury to see my grandparents. Unlike all of the other cold and bitter days in March, this day was very sunny and fairly warm. When I arrive to their house and was trying to talk to my grandmother on the other side of the table, I could barely see her because the sun was too bright. Because of this, I decided to close the blinds. These blinds are old fashioned so you have to do it manually pull a string. From what I notice is that the strong is actually a pulley! The pulley works by having one string to pull while the one on the other side is attached to the blinds. As you pull the string down the blinds open because the other side of the machine occurs oppositely. There was two strings in the machines. Because of this, it was a little hard for me to pull. However, on another window that they have in their house, there are more stings (4). This window was far easier to open because the excess strings make the force smaller. Therefore, I can conclude that with more strings the force is less, but with less strings it has greater force as is more difficult to pull. But with more strings the displacement must increase in order to have less force. With limited strings you need less displacement but more force.

1 comment: